20 June, 2013

Chocolate and Truffles by The Chocolatier.

Another lovely stall I visited this summer at the BBC Good Food Show was The Chocolatier. Upon seeing these chocolates I gasped and had the biggest smile on my face. Even the lady behind the exhibit commented on my excitement! I was truly a big kid in a candy store.




What I really loved about this, was that they had a really big range of chocolates and that they were completely diverse. As mentioned in my previous post, as much as I love my cocoa copines, I easily grow tired of the usual ones you get in your corner shop or supermarket shelf. Sometimes you just want something different. Or even peculiar.

The Chocolatier, a niche by Aneesh, delivers just that. Flavours from Cola Popping Candy, to Pineapple and Cardamom, they're aren't like your normal Nestlé brand. Now to be perfectly honest, when I saw all the flavours, I thought they wouldn't be as good as they looked or wouldn't really have much flavour. So I popped in a piece of Mango spice chocolate in my mouth and can I just say, my tongue was literally bombarded with spice and mangoeyness - was NOT expecting that. Personally, sweet and 'savoury' flavours mixed together isn't really my thing (my friend on the other hand loves that mix) and there were many that had that kind of combination, so I was left slightly disappointed at the minimal amount of 'sweeter' options available.

And then I met the truffles.

There were so many to choose from and many had unusual flavours. I liked that a lot. They looked very chic and smelt amazinggg!

I picked chilli and lime, Salt and Pepper, Raspberry Gel x2 (I love raspberry and choc) and salted caramel. I had to watch out for how many I got, as we all know that Truffles don't come cheap, especially of such a niche.

Chilli and Lime was interesting, you could taste the lemon as you bit into it, lasting with a pleasant chilli kick at the end. Nice, but not something you could have a lot of. Salt and pepper was okay, different, and that's what intrigued me. Salted caramel was yummy as expected, really flavoursome and I just fell in love with the raspberry gel. The raspberry just oozes out as you take a bite and mixes well with the dark chocolate. I've always believed that the two flavours are a match made in heaven and it worked extremely well in the truffle.

I also got the sesame praline, which was sweet and crunchy and just so NOM!

I really was left flabbergasted with the varieties of flavours that they had and...wait for it…wait for it…They contained no gelatine, no cream, no butter and no eggs! They are only made from a water based ganache, I have no idea how they make them taste so good without any of these ingredients. Great for vegetarians and for those who have specific dietary limits!

For more information on The Chocolatiers chocolates or if you wanna check out their clever combinations created by Aneesh Popat, you can visit them at http://www.the-chocolatier.co.uk. I do warn you, these do eat into your wallet, though where else will you ever get to try a pumpkin pie flavoured truffle!?

Lovely for an occasional treat. Give 'em a go. They get my official stamp of approval and trust me, I can be a fussy one.

And if you don't have enough pounds in your pocket, you can always try out my chocolate truffle recipe :)


The Dainty Cook x







No comments:

Post a Comment