28 June, 2015

The Donut Burger

Insta: @daintycook

A homemade spiced lamb burger topped with cheeses, gherkins, lettuce and tomato in a fresh, homemade ring-donut bun. Need I say more?


Its been a while again folks, but I promise to be posting often soon!

So, many a time had I seen this burger circulating on the Internet and I could only have dreamt to go to the BB Kitchen in Cardiff to eat it. And then a local diner opens and promises a donut burger too. My cravings for this had gone cray. And when I crave, boy do I crave! 

With it being the month of fasting, I had a bit of extra time on my hands so I thought I'd make this bad boy myself.



The Burger 

Ingredients:
Lamb mince (for four greedy people)
2 and a half tsps coriander powder
2 and a half tsps cumin powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsps garlic paste
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp chilli powder (and grinded chilles for extra heat)
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsps breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper

(Feel free to add more or less depending on your taste buds, You don't want the spices too overpowering though.)

Method:

  • Mix all together and leave for 30 mins. Shape the burgers quite fat (I used a home burger press) and fry in oil on a griddle pan until slightly charred.



Donuts

Ingredients:
250g strong white flour
7g yeast
75ml warm milk
30g caster sugar
30g butter
1 egg
Pinch of salt

Glaze
150g icing sugar
3-4 tbsps milk or water
Vanilla extract (optional)

Method:

  • For the donuts, combine all ingredients together stirring with your hands. Then knead for 10 mins until you get a dough like consistency. Add a bit more flour if kneaded (hehe, like my pun there! Okay sorry I'll stop).
  • Shape into a big ball and place in a bowl covered with cling film. Leave it in a warm place for an hour to let it rise or double in volume.



  • Once risen, shape into circles and cut a hole out in the middle. Widen the holes so they don't close.
  • Let the dough prove and rise again for about another hour.
  • Now they're ready to fry! Make sure the oil is hot (but not too hot so they don't burn) and fry on each side for about a minute or two.
  • Once fried, combine the icing sugar and milk and mix to form a glaze. Dip the top half of the donuts and let them set!
  • To assemble the burger, cut the donuts in half and add whatever fillings you like! I topped it with cheddar, added the burger which was coated with Red Leicester just before I finished frying them. Then lettuce, a slice of beef tomato, sliced gherkins, onions and the glazed donut half. I also squeezed some lemon on top of the meat.

This was served with fat chips, onion rings and Mayo and ketchup, obvs! Think I'd add jalapeƱos next time too.



Best. Burger. Ever. 

Seriously, my stomach would gladly be in a committed relationship to it.

I wanted to take some good shots of this on my camera, but sorry guys, my stomach couldn't wait! 

Fat and juicy with some incredible toppings AND a donut bun. What more could you want in life?!

Insta: @daintycook - get following!


Dainty Cook xox



No comments:

Post a Comment