29 June, 2015

Homemade Mr Whippy Ice cream

Insta: @daintycook

Soft white creamy frozen goodness. Not as hard as ice cream, but like frozen whipped cream. For once, I don't quite know how to describe it's goodness. We all know how a good Whippy tastes.



So it's the month of fasting, which means from sunrise up until sunset I can't eat. This also means I can't enjoy a Mr Whippy Ice cream when I really want.

Is it just me or are there an abundance of these vans going around this month? I mean when's it's not ramadan I hardly find them! 

I don't usually crave food that I see while fasting, but ice cream is one of my weaknesses.

Anyway, so I began to think, as 'Mr Tony' had stopped off right in front of my dads work place, while I was assisting him that day: a) how bad I want one right now and b) how can I enjoy one at home?! The answer came forthwith. I could try make it, of course.

And that's exactly what I did.

Ingredients:
500ml double cream
250ml whole milk 
120g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract 
2 tsps milk powder (optional)
20g gelatine powder/2 sheets gelatin/pectin
Ice cream wafer cones
Flake and Lindt Choc (toppings)

Method: 

Heat the milk, cream and vanilla on a saucepan over low heat.

In the mean time soak the Gelatin leaves until soft in cold water.



Once the cream mixture has reached simmering point add the sugar and milk powder and stir until thick and sort of coats the back of the spoon.



Leave to cool and place in the fridge for an hour.

Whisk the cold mixture for 5 mins with an electric whisk.

Next, fill ice cube trays or anything with small sections and freeze for another hour or two.


Once frozen, blend away until it's a frozen thick paste and place the paste into a piping bag with a star nozzle.

Get your cone (and I added a Lindt chocolate ball inside mmmm) and then pipe away really quickly! 

Add toppings such as flake and raspberry sauce and enjoy.

I think this has gotta be something I'm quite impressed with. I'm not quite sure whether the shape will stay stiff for long due to the nature of Whippy ice cream - homemade means we can't keep it cool all the way. However I used less Gelatin than stated in this recipe, so yours may turn out better!



Ate it way too fast there haha!

Anyway it tastes exactly the same, is the right texture and it's all homemade, what more could one want?! 

Let me know how you all get on. 



Dainty Cook xox

No comments:

Post a Comment