14 October, 2014

Rose and White Chocolate Ganache Macarons

Macaron shells filled with a light, white chocolate ganache and a hint of rose.
For the more sophisticated of taste buds.


I've got to tell you something. I'm not a lover of rose flavoured edibles. So I guess my taste buds aren't sophisticated as I thought! I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. If I could avoid it, I would. So why did I make these then!? My momma loves rose and white chocolate actually (tbh, I've found that many of the er, older generation tend to prefer these!) So I thought I'd make these ones for her :)
Okay so maybe they actually are for the more refined taste buds?

I just think they're pretty to look at and I love the colour.

I made the choco-lemon macarons for me though, it's all gravvy.

Ingredients:
118g ground almonds
118g icing powder
pink food colouring paste/gel/powder
41g and 70g egg whites (divided)
58g water
118g granulated sugar

Filling:
2 tbsp rose water/flavouring
200g white chocolate
200g double cream
pink food colouring paste/gel/powder

Method:

  • Sift the ground almonds and icing sugar together in a bowl and combine.
  • Place them in a food processor and process until fine and combined.
  • Sift again in a medium bowl.
  • Make a well in the centre and add the 41g of egg whites then mix thoroughly until well combined and you've end up with a thick paste or 'gloop' as I like to say. (I like words with double o's okay, I don't even know why.)
  • In the mean time, place the sugar and water in a saucepan with a 'candy' thermometer and switch the heat on. When it gets to 200 degrees Farenheit, start whisking your egg whites slowly with a pinch of sugar up until the temp reaches around 245 degrees Farenheit.
  • Quickly whisk in the sugar mixture and continue whisking the eggs until thick and glossy. If you want to add colour then this is the time. After or just before pouring the sugar mix, add the yellow food colouring gel. It lightens so add a tad more than you'd like it to be.
  • Fold in the egg whites into the almond gloop a couple of times. *Do the macaron-a* (I hope one of you laughed at that.)
  • Then add the rest of the egg whites slowly and fold a couple of times until combined. I don't count my fold, but you want the texture to be thick and ribbon like, if you overmix, the mixture will turn flat and super runny, you definitely do not want that! Also mix too much and it may end up with a slightly chewy texture. The texture should be soft on the inside and hard out the outside (like a man!) Remember?
  • Pipe small rounds onto baking paper on a tray or a silpat mat or moulds and let it ret until a thick skin forms. Around 30 mins to an hour.
  • Preheat the oven (I do this now guys!) to 147 degrees C. I use an electric fan oven so add 20 degrees if you're using a traditional gas one. Place in the middle of the oven one sheet at time and bake for 15 minutes - mine take 25 - never know why. Just keep checking after 15 mins.
  • Let them cool and voila!
Filling:

  • Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler/water bath just until half melted.
  • Heat the cream until warm and add to the half melted chocolate.
  • Very quickly stir the two together until the white chocolate thickens and both are combined. If they don't combine, put it back on the double boiler for a minute or 2, the mixture will become runny, but will set later (takes longer though!)
  • Add in your rose flavouring/water to your preference. I only added a teeny bit because, even though they weren't for me, I didn't want them to emit a strong rose flavour, which they should do!
  • Next, stir in a drop or two of pink food colouring and stir.
  • Let it set in the fridge for a few hours or over night. The longer the better, I was impatient and found it hard to pipe my shells as white chocolate ganache takes longer to set.



Sit back relax, have an apple martini and enjoy these macarons!

Any help, I'm a message away :)


Dainty Cook x

No comments:

Post a Comment